The WAG•A•BAG™ stores were first opened in 1964 by Virg and Nancy Rabb. Virg held the vision that rural small towns needed convenience stores and in those years, there were none. The first store was built at 701 East Taylor in Round Rock, Texas, currently the location of Quick Pharmacy. Round Rock had 1800 residents at that time and people came from surrounding towns to watch the first commercial building go up in the past 65 year time period. Round Rock had no traffic lights, no police force and two small grocery stores at that time.
Virg and Nancy were raising dachshunds when the original store was opened. People inquire as to the WAG•A•BAG™ logo and the dog tipping the grocery sack. A good friend helped in the development of the logo but one of the dogs probably did tip a sack of groceries at some point in time.
WAG•A•BAG™ has enjoyed a continuous but cautious growth, committed to being a community store at each location. Virg Rabb's commitment to fairness and integrity in private enterprise has served as an inspiration to all those who work within the company.
There are 18 WAG•A•BAG™ stores and one unmanned location in Central Texas. Locations are found in Round Rock, Hutto, Pflugerville, Georgetown, Liberty Hill and Austin. The corporate office is located at 2604 Sunrise in Round Rock.
Even with the exlosive growth in Central Texas and the changing times, one of the things WAG•A•BAG™ prides itself on is its customer service and small town atmosphere. Exemplary service is the goal at each location.
With Virg Rabb's death in 1998, son Cary Rabb stepped in and he and Nancy Rabb manage the 150 employees. Both are committed to carrying on the vision of making a difference in each community. Cary Rabb became President in 2004.
Board of Directors includes:
- Cary Rabb, President
- Nancy Rabb, Vice President
- Judy Vanover, Controller
- Kevin Johnson, Buyer/Operations Director
- Matt Good, IT Director
Round Rock, Texas 78665